At the heart of The Neighborhood Schoolhouse philosophy is the understanding that we are all students as well as teachers.
Keeping this in mind, our educational environments, the classrooms, gardens and woodlands of Solar Hill, become dynamic worlds of discovery where thoughtful and meaningful risks are taken together, from which we emerge transformed. We feel that it is not only what we learn that informs us but also how we learn that defines who we will become as caring, responsible members of society.
Our curriculum and educational model are designed to educate the whole child. Social, emotional, intellectual, physical and creative aspects of development are always integrated in order to maximize the authentic assimilation of learning.
When children are active learners, they are engaged learners ready to ask questions, think beyond and outside the box for the answers, thus becoming resilient and confident as they face new challenges.
Together we strive toward:
- The life long love and pursuit of learning.
- The ability to play, work and resolve conflicts collaboratively.
- A deep and abiding connection with the outside world.
- Learning through active participation.
- Acceptance of our differences.
- Exploration of different forms of creative expression.
- Development of a positive self-image.
- The acquisition and mindful interpretation of academic knowledge and functional learning skills.
- An awareness of the interdependence and a sense of responsibility for all living things.